Wednesday, August 6, 2014

What is life...

I'm struggling with the idea of Life since being in the ICU at children's hospital in Milwaukee.  As one could guess. Milwaukee isn't a safe place for young kids.  Gangs and gang fights everywhere. Not to mention, our weak human bodies sometimes just give way as well. I saw so many children die before my eyes, I became numb to it.  I stuffed it away in my head to survive the chaos we are living. But every night as I try to fall asleep I start pondering life again.  What is life? Life can leave a body and the body is still be there, but the person is gone.  As my son struggled for his life one night, a little girl, just 17 months old, two beds down, passed away from complications from a surgery my son WAS going to have done in May, but it was canceled.  Wow! So scary.  How reality hits you like a ton of bricks! It only takes a moment to change that. Life after death is so real when you see death in the face.  I still look at our Angel baby and wonder why God kept him alive that night of June 20.  He could have taken the life out of him, but he chose to save his life instead, why? I'm incredibly thankful for it most days.  But when I think of all that my little boy will suffer from, as he ages, I can't help but think, why God?  Why did you save him?" He has a plan and I trust Him.  What is life? My brain is so overloaded, it is hard to ponder what life is.  Life is but a moment and we can lose it at any given time.  Life is precious and even if you lay in your hospital bed completely alone or if the hallway is packed with family members as your lifelines are unplugged, God values both!  I saw so much when I was there.  An abondoned abused little boy completely alone, a twelve year old girl shot in the crossfire of a gang fight with all her family by her side.  What makes one kid loved by many and the next one abandoned? My brain tries to make sense of this unfair world.  But that is exactly it, a fallen world. Christ tells us in John 16:13 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."  My life has been forever changed from our stay in ICU.  I may be confused and try to make sense of it all for many years to come, but I can find peace in Christ because he has overcome it all! Lord, please help me make sense of my feelings and thoughts about life and death since our stay in ICU. Life is precious. Life is breathed by God. Life is irreplaceable.  Please use our little boy to strengthen us, to grow us closer to you and together, may his little life bring you glory! Amen.