Monday, October 7, 2013

Little Guy's birth story!!

On the morning of August 19, 2013, I woke up with contractions at 1:35 A.M.  I tossed and turned for a few minutes.  My tummy was constantly hard.  I woke up SuperDaddy and told him that I was sure something was happening.  It didn't feel like contractions, just constant pressure, EVERYWHERE!!  I asked him to call the midwives.  He said "no, I'm sure everything is fine, let's go on the couch and count contractions. (Mind you, I went into preterm labor just 3 weeks prior to this at 34 weeks, we were only 37 weeks when he was born)  So, to make him happy, I went on the couch.  Looked at him and said, "Call the midwives NOW, please!  The time was then 1:50 A.M.  Thankfully our babysitter for the other kids spent the night that night.  I ran upstairs to wake her.  I had to wake the sitter,  transfer another baby out of the birth-room, and set up the birthing bed, and birthing tub  yet.  I was feeling like I was running out of time.  SuperDaddy was still downstairs.  We managed to get the other baby transferred to another room, while we were sitting up the bed, my water broke, all. over. the. floor.  Let me tell you, that is by far the craziest feeling in the world!!  With my first, I only had leaking and it broke during pushing.  My second, I almost delivered him in the sac of waters until the midwife broke the waters with the amnio-hook as I was delivering him.  My third was delivered through adoption, so no water breaking there :)  So needless to say, I was in shock when my sac of waters burst!  The time was now 2:15. The midwives still had not arrived and it felt as if the water was never going to stop gushing. SuperDaddy decided to start filling the birthing pool as my babysitter made up the birthing bed.  I was now contracting almost constantly; kneeling against the side of the bed, waiting. Waiting. Waiting for the midwives to arrive.  By 2:30,  I laid down in the bed, praying the midwives would make it in time and gave up the hope of ever getting in the birthing tub.  The bed wasn't even fully made, but I didn't care, at that very moment I just needed to rest my head on something! It was 2:40 and I knew he was coming!  I heard someone say "Katie is here."(the midwife assistant)  She came in the room and said, "let me set up some things." I screamed; "No, he's coming!!  She had just enough time to grab gloves and catch him! The midwife was walking up the stairs as he was delivered at 2:44 A.M.  What a short pain filled adventure we had just experienced!! My shortest birth yet and we were  so glad he was a healthy little guy!!  The midwives had everything cleaned up and back in order before any of the other children woke up.  It was perfect. Perfect indeed.

Purely Perfect!  Born at 2:44 A.M  Weighing in at 7 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches long!!