Thursday, June 17, 2010

Parenting is a humbling experience...


 I have worked with children in various ways for the past 10 + years so I thought I had some good experience down for becoming a mother.   I've taken classes, nannied, baby-sat, lived in an in-home day care for 5 years with my aunt while helping her with the children, and I was even a teacher's assitant in the infant room at a local school here.  I thought I was pretty  good at what I did.  I mean it turned out to be my career after all.  Moreover, before three months ago, I used to hold a belief that you can make babies do what you want them to do.  You put them on your schedule and that's it!  It seemed to work when I was watching them.  Little did I know I was in a surprise with this baby...



Little Peanut has quite the personality! She does what she wants when she wants!  Lately, that's the way its been.  I have learned in a very short time to give and take with this peanut.  Choose when to pick my battles so to speak.  She is not the child who takes 3 hour naps daily, sits by herself contented while I do housework, and defintely does not soothe herself like some "experts" say you must make babies do.  Yes, my little Peanut takes 3- 45 minute naps a day (on a good day), She plays by herself on the floor for about 10 minutes at a time, and wants her mommy most of the rest of the day.  Like I said before, I thought I could make her sleep for 3 hours a day, let her cry until she realized she must soothe herself, then I would go about my business.  Yeah right!!!!  Did I hear someone say, "wake up call!!!!!"  This is where humility comes in, I realized I must humble myself, admit that I do not know everything it takes to raise this child.  I need to learn new things and strategies just like the rest of the parents out there.  I came into this role thinking I knew it all, many of you probably would agree that I had such and additude!  For one, I must apolize to those of you who I offended by acting as a "know it all."  And secondly, I am ready to learn from my little Peanut and explore the many options out there for parenting...



I have been doing research, following my God-given motherly instinct, and have tried a few things these past few days.  Like I said before, Little Peanut wanted me for most of the day.  How is a mother suppose to get housework done, devotions, and post on her BLOG if I must tend to this baby all the time!!  Well then I stumbled upon the baby wrap!  What is it you ask?  Well stay tuned in for my next post devoted all to the baby wrap!